In general, writing a movie review isn’t perceived as any sort of art. However, it doesn’t mean that film reviews can’t be inspiring, breathtaking or astonishingly convincing. Here are some points to follow for a fresh film reviewer.
- You need to adjust. Who is going to read your movie review? It is difficult to please everyone in their expectations of the film review. Take into account the age your likely viewers and the place of the publication. If the readership circle involves movie fans – be prepared to come up with some non-mainstream clauses.
- Watch the movie more than one time. It is genuinely hard not to overlook petty details of the movie plot while viewing it for the first time; whereas multiple views enhance your chances to write a meaningful and valid review.
- Think of something that can arrest reader’s attention from the first glance. Or otherwise find the hook to draw the viewer in. Are there any outrageous scenes or hot movie stars? Don’t give up the answer right away – heat up readers’ interest.
- Avoid telling the whole movie story-line. While it is important to reveal the main conflict, don’t get carried away too much. Leave the question open. There is nothing more annoying for the movie fans than stumbling over spoilers, like who of the main characters possibly dies in the end. Spoilers put the likely movie audience off.
- Evaluate acting as a crucial element of the film. Unfortunately, not all movies are perfect, but many of them are decent. Analyze what drives the characters, their actions and motives. Ask whether the whole story-line makes any sense and if the job of the film director worth viewer’s attention. Estimate how well the idea of the whole movie is embodied by the actors on the screen.
- Give your opinion about the technical components. Whether you liked the official soundtracks, editing job, scenery or not, give valid reasons to prove your point of view. Keep up with the specific terminology to show your professionalism.
- Mind the subjectivity. As a viewer, you got to judge a film based on your personal assumptions which can lead to many readers watch the movie you had reviewed. On the other hand, there would be an army of those who are not with you on the film rating. No need to mention that it is extremely hard to evaluate movies of such geniuses as Tarantino or Cameron, and there hardly can be one-way opinion about their art.